[JoPP-Public] Sponsorship to the JoPP board

panayotis antoniadis panayotis at nethood.org
Tue Oct 27 12:03:17 CET 2015

Dear Mathieu, all,

Thank you very much for this invitation. It is a great honor for me
to be part of the JoPP board.

I have been working on the general topic of peer-to-peer systems
since my master on the design and implementation of distributed
systems (engineering), and then continued with the design of incentive
mechanisms for p2p file sharing, among other p2p systems, for my
PhD (economics). During my post-doc in Paris I shifted to incorporating
ideas from behavioural and social sciences for encouraging cooperation
in wireless community networks, and ended up to urban studies, the
design of "hybrid space" and the slow development of an interdisciplinary
research project along these lines together with my collaborator, and wife,
Ileana Apostol, who is an urban planner.

See http://nethood.org and http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~pantonia/ for
CVs, publications, talks, etc.

Recently, we have both quit ETH Zurich and founded a non-profit
organization, NetHood, through which we had two successful
EU Horizon 2020 applications and two 3-year projects will be
starting in January 2016:
http://mazizone.eu & http://netcommons.eu

In the mean time, through the organization of various interdisciplinary
events I got involved in two very interesting related, and "real", case
studies:
- complementary currencies, and especially the Sardex network in
Sardinia, from where I write this e-mail (see
http://compare-network.net/sardinia/)
- cooperative housing, and especially the young cooperative housing and
living
projects in Zurich (http://o500.org is an under construction web site,
which
I am developing in cooperation with P.M., http://o500.org/pm.html and with
Ileana we are members of the latest under development cooperative housing
project, NeNa1, http://o500.org/pechakucha.html)

As for my role as a board member, I am already a co-editor of the upcoming
special issue on "Alternative Internets" and with Penny and Nikos
Anastasopoulos
we are preparing a call for papers for another issue on "P2P urbanism".

I think that my main contribution will be mostly on the interdisciplinary
perspective and hopefully also on bringing closer research and action
(btw, I am also an active member of INURA, http://inura.org).

Best regards,

Panayotis, or Panos :-)