[JoPP-Public] RFC - peer production and work

Christian Siefkes christian at siefkes.net
Fri Jun 5 18:34:26 CEST 2015

Hi Mathieu, all,

On 01/06/15 09:48, Mathieu ONeil wrote:
> Please find below a request for comments for a planned issue on peer
> production and work.

I'm somewhat astonished at the following paragraph:

> *Peer production in a paid work society*
>
> Nowadays firms extract ever-more value from the unpaid labour of volunteer
> 'prosumers' (Frayssé & O'Neil, 2015), or attempt to monetize crowdsourced
> labour. The paradigmatic example is Amazon’s Mechanical Turk labourers
> (popularly known as ‘Turkers’, ‘cloud workers’ or ‘click workers’) who
> accomplish micro-tasks such as tagging and labeling images, transcribing
> audio or video recordings, and categorizing products.

What does Amazon Mechanical Turk have to do with peer production? As far as
I can see, nothing. There are no peers, no commons is created, and all work
is paid (though badly) rather than volunteered freely. If the focus is on
monetizing the unpaid work of volunteers, proprietary platforms such as
Facebook or Youtube might be a better example.

Otherwise the call reads good to me.

Best regards
	Christian

--
|--------- Dr. Christian Siefkes --------- christian at siefkes.net ---------
| Homepage:   http://www.siefkes.net/   |   Blog:   http://www.keimform.de/
| Wie Produktion zur Nebensache wurde: www.keimform.de/2013/freie-quellen-1/
| Why Production No Longer Worries Us: www.keimform.de/2013/free-sources-1/
Being rich doesn't look like as much fun as it used to be. In the old days
you got rich, and then stopped working and concentrated very hard on having
a very good time in very expensive ways. Now people get rich, and then just
work harder to try to become even richer. Sometimes they play golf....
Doesn't sound like a bundle of laughs to me, but there you are.
        -- Michael Marshall Smith, Only Forward