[JoPP-Public] Sharing in/on sharing: socio-spatial, temporal and technological transitions

Ramon ribera-fumaz ramonriberafumaz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 11:02:34 CEST 2015

FYI, apologies for x-posting,

For the next American Association of Geographers Conference in San
Francisco, we are organizing this panel session that could be of your
interest:

AAG 2016 CfP: Sharing in/on sharing: socio-spatial, temporal and
technological transitions

AAG Annual Meeting <http://www.aag.org/cs/annualmeeting/call_for_papers>,
San Francisco 29 March - 2 April 2016

*Organisers:*

Mike Crang (Durham University, UK), Helen Jarvis (Newcastle University,
UK), Ramon Ribera-Fumaz (Universitat Oberta de Catalunya)

Human geography scholarship increasingly deploys the language and practice
of ‘sharing’; notably in debates on social and environmental justice; with
respect to traditional and digital sharing economies; the ‘conviviality’
sought in efforts to open up public space for civic engagement; and in
cooperation and collaboration between academics, activists and
practitioners. Thus Popke (2006) calls for an expansion of ethical
significance (and responsible action) to all aspects of daily life and to
emphasise connectedness to others based on ‘mutual obligations and
relations of trust’ (McDowell 2004: 157; Lawson 2007: 3), ‘cooperation
rather than competition’ and ‘interdependence over individuation’ (Smith
2004: 11).  Yet, from classical anthropology we learn that sharing
represents an ‘integration of intimate economies’ that cannot be reduced to
reciprocity or exchange relations alone (Price 1975). Therefore, this
session aims to expand the conceptual significance of sharing (goods,
services, knowledge, space, time, technology, visions and values),
theoretically, empirically and ethically- taking fuller account of intimacy
and interdependence.

There are many possible futures for a burgeoning sharing economy, some
progressive, others reinforcing the deep social divisions and wasteful
consumption associated with neoliberal emphasis on market choice,
competitiveness and efficiency. It is timely to deconstruct the tensions
and contractions bound up with interdependent networks of peer-to-peer and
face-to-face sharing. This is especially so at this AAG because it is to be
held in San Francisco at a time when the ‘success’ of the digital
home-sharing market, notably *Airbnb*, for instance, is implicated in
exacerbating rising prices and evictions.  *Airbnb* originated in San
Francisco and is valued at $25 billion. San Francisco is also home to the
influential non-profit online magazine *Shareable* which provides a hub of
grassroots movements that variously advocate new and expanded sharing
economies to address challenges such as climate change, lack of affordable
housing, resource depletion and waste. According to *Shareable*, the
sharing transformation that is emerging in cities around the world connects
communities of interest as varied as the maker movement, collaborative
housing, collaborative consumption, solidarity economies, transition towns,
degrowth and voluntary simplicity.  Acknowledging San Francisco as a
provocative reference laboratory on the conference doorstep, this session
aims to bring a critical theoretical gaze to claims made by and for a
sharing transformation.  In particular we seek to explore:

·         To what extent are we witnessing a reinvention and revival of
sharing in our cities? How is this manifest in new and/or progressive ways?

·         To what extent does the sharing transformation offer solutions
for social justice? Community resilience? Carbon-neutral one-planet
sustainable development?

We invite papers which engage with the tensions and contradictions bound up
with the language of sharing and expectations of sharing virtually ‘at
scale’ that compete with intimate economies that embed the ‘social
architecture’ of sharing in meaningful community relations of place-making.
In particular, we invite papers which deal with:

·         The sharing economy and the geographies of community

·         Ways of ‘living together’ (intentionally sharing space and time)
as a path out of capitalism

·         The non-economic ‘intangible’ processes and attributes of
collaborative networks that formal economic modelling and city planning and
governance tend to overlook

·         Sharing and conviviality, proximity and trust

·         Structure and agency: individual ‘choice’ and structural barriers
to alternative ways of living

*Submission Procedure:*

Please send your abstract of 250 words or fewer to:

Helen.jarvis at ncl.ac.uk

We particularly encourage contributions from doctoral students, activists,
practitioners and early-career researchers, from anywhere in the world.

Please send abstracts before 3 October 2015. We will notify contributors of
acceptance before 12 October. Please note that all accepted contributors
will need to register for the AAG conference at aag.org.