[JoPP-Public] News and Issues

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 14 00:54:08 CET 2014

Hi everyone?

As maxigas has been so active in developing JoPP the editorial team (Francesca, Johan, Maurizio, Nate, Sara and me) decided to "make it official" by inviting him to join us, he accepted, and we are delighted to have him.

Since the release of JoPP#5, a number of new people have subscribed to this list. We don't have any rules about this apart from (I guess) welcoming you, inviting you to join in discussions, and - if you feel like it - introducing yourselves and your interests? Or: should the membership list be made public? I don't know.

Finally, looking ahead:

-issue#5 on shared machine shops was just released (for consistency's sake, I propose to backdate it to July 2014)

-issue#6 on law to be released in Dec/jan

-special issue on #FLOK to be released in Feb (numbered or not?)

-issue on #feminism to be released in July

First question: is this all a bit much - should we space things out a bit? Delay FLOK maybe?

Second question: what comes after?

It was mentioned that #feminism may be split in two. Whether that happens or not, we need to think about future issues.

Johan and others have agreed to work on an "alternative internet" issue, inspired by this event:

http://www.iscc.cnrs.fr/spip.php?article1912

Thanks to them for taking this on. More info soon.

We need further issues. We have never addressed privacy / surveillance. I contacted someone in that space, but she declined, too busy. Is anyone out there interested in putting a team together around that?

if any other ideas are forthcoming, and you want to explore them privately as a first step: please email an editorial team member directly. Or post straight here. We need to plan things well in advance. It really is very open, and an opportunity to explore ideas in any direction, with like-minded people, whilst having fun, so don't be shy!

On behalf of the editorial team,

cheers,

Mathieu