[JoPP-Public] linking on the landing page

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 17 14:04:12 CEST 2014

Hi Nate

First, congratulations on a really great issue - apart from the general quality, I'm particularly happy that one of the comments engages with Dmitry Kleiner as I believe this is the first time his ideas etc have been addressed in JoPP.

Re the frontpage links to peer reviewed articles bypassing the peer review metadata page: yes, I was wondering about that myself recently. It has been set up like that by the person who originally designed the site, Franco Iacomella, so the usual caveats apply re contacting him. We are currently without an official webmaster as Jarkko Moilanen is in the end unable to help.

Specifically: the "latest" tag hoovers up article titles and links from the page it is affixed to (such as an issue TOC) and pastes it on the frontpage. It is weird that in the case of peer reviewed articles it chooses the links that go straight to the html version of the articles, as on the TOC the links are to the peer review metadata page. So we could try experimenting with that TOC page. Or perhaps someone out there is wordpress-savvy and can offer us some help?

The generic homepage url was put in your release notices rather than the specific issue TOC page url.? I think unaware people could well stumble on the peer review metadata page.? In addition we could indicate something on the frontpage to alert readers about this unique feature? Something to think about. If you write up those bits of advice for prospective editors that we talked about, I could look into how to change the frontpage - deal?

(cc-ing the journal list as I think this is relevant to everyone - there is low traffic there so a bit of technical detail is better than nothing ;-))

cheers

Mathieu