[JoPP-Public] New member: Maxigas

maxigas maxigas at anargeek.net
Wed Jun 12 14:29:11 CEST 2013

From: Mathieu ONeil <mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au>
Subject: [JoPP-Public] New member: Maxigas
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 06:45:03 +0000

> Hi all
>
> I would like to sponsor a new member of our editorial board, who already published an article in the second issue: Maxigas.
>
> @Maxigas: could you please summarise your background, explain your interest in collaborative production and any plans for the future (including working on a fablab issue for example ;-))

hello list,

i am maxigas, a Phd candidate at the Internet Interdisciplinary Institute in Barcelona (part of Universitat Oberta de Catalunya).  i currently work on peer production, in particular small scale open hardware in the hackerspaces.  i am doing ethnography and producing object biographies which will provide the empirical part of the thesis.  in wider terms i am interested in the history of hackers and the role of cybernetics in the second part of the twentieth century, trying to put them into a wider context of the social history of post-industrial capitalism in terms of their ideological and political economical role.  i try to disseminate my research results in the scene and work closely with practitioners.

i earned MAs in a couple of topics: Aesthetics, Film History and Film Theory, English Language and Literature, Sociology and Social Anthropology (i studies Cultural Anthropology for some years too).  i have some "industry" experience as system administrator of online education platforms, web developer, coder, etc.  i was involved with the Association for Progressive Communications, especially around the World Summit on Information Society.

as an activist i was involved in the alterglobalisation movement with People's Global Action and Indymedia, and now with a collective that provides infrastructure for social movements.  i co-founded a hacklab in London, a hackerspace in Budapest, and now trying to set up things here in Barcelona.  i am trying to follow the European hackerspaces scene through visits and gatherings like OHM2013.  i recently moved into calafou.org, the ecoindustrial postcapitalist colony, where there are many hackers and machines in the middle of the forest.  so as you can see i am interested in the role of technology in social change.

all in all i find it amazing how the hacker stuff crashes and contacts with wider social structures these years, and it would be nice if we could understand it more and produce some truth that intervenes in these processes.  i think producing public domain scientific knowledge is fucking radical, and i would be happy to collaborate on editing a fablab issue. :)

Article in JoPP: http://peerproduction.net/issues/issue-2/peer-reviewed-papers/hacklabs-and-hackerspaces/

Current research proposal: http://research.metatron.sh/soci/phd/proposal/proposalB6/

Research wiki: http://research.metatron.sh/

Historical wiki maintained by Merce Molist: http://hackstory.net/ (mostly in Spanish)

maxigas, kiberpunk

--

 * *  |metatron
*   * |research

FA00 8129 13E9 2617 C614  0901 7879 63BC 287E D166