[Jesus-post] d, indee

Warmbrod Baille altern at elkida.no
Sat Mar 27 15:15:53 CET 2010

En printing was yet unknown, is fast dying away. Many, both students
and professors, are loud against it, yet the tedious method is still
pursued in many places.
The introductory
remark of a celebrated lecturer is characteristic.

Seeing all his hearers, on the first day of the course, ready with
pen and paper, he began,--"Gentlemen,
I will not dictate: if that were necessary, I should send my
maid-servant
with my manuscript, and you yours with

pen and paper; my servant would dictate, yours would write, and we in
the mean while could enjoy a pleasant walk." This is, however, not
the only point that will be likely to produce an unfavorable
impression. To see a man whose name
you have met in your reading as the highest

authority, whose works you have so often admired, his style
energetic, fiery, and impressive,--to see him ascend his rostrum with
every
mark of negligence, uncouth and awkward in his
appearance, with
every possible mannerism,

talking through his nose, indistinctly and unsteadily
mumbling over his sentences, careless of all outward form and polish,
awakens anything
but pleasant feelings, as the preconceived ideal must give way to the