Trying to write elisp code to select inner WORD as achieved by viW normal mode keystrokes

Guido Van Hoecke guivho at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 20:37:27 CET 2016

Hi,

I am a happy user of evil-visualstar
(https://github.com/bling/evil-visualstar/blob/master/evil-visualstar.el)

I frequently use this key sequence: 'viW*' (without the quotes)

I'd like to write a short function that achieves this so that I can map it
to a single key in evil-normal-state-map, something like

  (defun guivho-viW-star()
    "Visual select inner WORD and search for it"
    (interactive)
   ;(select-inner-WORD-function-as-would-be-achieved-by-viW)
   (evil-visualstar/begin-search-forward))

I've looked up what is called by 'v', and it claims to be defined in
evil-states-el, but I don't find it there. It claims to be defined as

(evil-visual-char &optional MARK POINT TYPE MESSAGE)

but I don/t know how to express the 'iW' part in that signature.

Please advise,

TIA,

Guido