How do use emacs-state in certain modes?

jenia.ivlev jenia.ivlev at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 04:21:04 CET 2015

Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> writes:

>> jenia.ivlev at gmail.com (jenia.ivlev) writes:
>>
>>> I want to use emacs-state in term-mode and undo-tree-mode.
>>> How do I achieve that?
>>> I tried:
>>>     (add-to-list 'evil-emacs-state-modes undo-tree-mode)
>>>
>>> This didn't work for some reason.
>>>
>>> So again, What should I do to be in emacs-state in term-mode for
>>> exmaple?
>>
>> You need to quote the name of the mode:
>>
>> (add-to-list 'evil-emacs-state-modes 'undo-tree-mode)
>> _____________________________________^
>>
>> Alternatively, you can switch to Emacs mode anytime with C-z.
>
> Oh, but undo-tree-mode is a minor mode. I think that
> evil-emacs-state-modes works for major modes only. And you don't want to
> use Emacs mode on all buffers where undo-tree-mode is active, do you?
>
> term-mode is a major mode, so
>
> (add-to-list 'evil-emacs-state-modes 'term-mode)
>
> should work.

Thanks for your help. Yes. undo-tree-mode is a minor mode. The major
mode that I need to use emacs-state is undo-tree-visualizer-mode.
But it doesnt work for that mode.

So again, the major-mode I need to be in emacs-state is
undo-tree-visualizer. It doesnt work though, for some reason. Maybe you
can suggest something.

P.S

By the way, doing it for a minor mode -undo-tree-mode - worked, but too
well sort of speak: any buffer that had that as a minor mode would start
out in emacs-state.