T, t, F, f operators crash into debugger

David Nebauer davidnebauer3 at bigpond.com
Sat Oct 18 10:33:51 CEST 2014

When vim operators T, t, F and f fail in vim because the target cannot
be found, it triggers an error which sounds a bell, but otherwise does
not interrupt editing.

In evil, on the other hand, when T, T, F and f operators fail in evil
they cause the debugger to open in another buffer with the lisp error
"Can't find X" where X is the target character.

To an emacs/evil newcomer like me it seems a predictable error like this
should not cause code execution to crash and invoke the debugger. My
naive suggestion would be that it should indicate an error (perhaps
using the system bell or returning an error message in the minibuffer)
but continue running without crashing in to the debugger.

I accept that it takes only the press of the 'q' button to close the
debugger and return to editing. Nonetheless, that is one button more
than vim. Further, because I associate the debugger with a program
crash, every time T, t, F or f fail in evil I am briefly jarred out of
my editing mindset.

Is there any way to prevent a failed F, f, T or t operation from
crashing and invoking the debugger?