Last character in visual selection remains unhighlighted

Sujith Abraham milkyway8754 at gmail.com
Wed May 21 15:42:05 CEST 2014

Leo Alekseyev <dnquark <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,It seems that a lot of the time, visual selection for me is
visually off by one character.  For example, consider the following line,
with the cursor at BOL.

> (123)
>

> If I issue commands like "vf)", "v%", I end with the closing paren under
the cursor, but the visual mark will NOT include the closing paren, and will
only include the first 3 characters, "(123".  Now, it is important to note
that if I then try to yank the selection, the yanked region is exactly what
it should be, i.e. it will include the closing paren.  As such, this defect
for me is purely cosmetic, but a little annoying.  Is this a known issue?
 Is it possible there is some misconfiguration on my part?

> Thanks,
>
> --Leo

In the Vim manual it is stated that ) is as an 'exclusive' motion, and % is
an 'inclusive' motion. Does this have anything to do with this? Shouldn't
both be giving different results?

( motion : http://vimhelp.appspot.com/motion.txt.html#object-motions
% motion : http://vimhelp.appspot.com/motion.txt.html#various-motions