Problems with Clipboard History and selections

Justin Gordon justin.gordon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 18:55:08 CET 2014

The current implementation of x-select-enable-clipboard calls x-select-text
for all cursor movement with a selection. This is not the behavior when
using non-evil mode. Basically, emacs takes over my clipboard history
unless the below patch is done. I'm on a Mac and use Alfred clipboard
history.

My change below in bold seems to fix this issue.

1. Is this the right thing to do?
2. Is there a contributions info page that explains how to contribute to
this project. I'm familiar with github forks and pull requests.

Thanks,

Justin

*(setq x-select-enable-clipboard nil)*
(defun evil-visual-update-x-selection (&optional buffer)
  "Update the X selection with the current visual region."
  (let ((buf (or buffer (current-buffer))))
    (when (buffer-live-p buf)
      (with-current-buffer buf
        (when (and (evil-visual-state-p)
                   (fboundp 'x-select-text)
                   (or (not (boundp 'ns-initialized))
                       (with-no-warnings ns-initialized))
                   (not (eq evil-visual-selection 'block)))
*          ;; CHANGE*
*          ;; ONLY call x-select-text if x-select-enable-clipboard is true*
*          (if x-select-enable-clipboard*
              (x-select-text (buffer-substring-no-properties
                              evil-visual-beginning
                              evil-visual-end))))))))

--
Justin Gordon | 808-877-6461 | m: 808-281-7272
www.railsonmaui.com | twitter: @railsonmaui<https://twitter.com/railsonmaui>
Blog<https://www.facebook.com/SugarRanch>