Different behavior between g* and *

Sanel Zukan sanelz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 23:11:50 CET 2014

On 02/20/14,Frank Fischer wrote:
> Interestingly in my tests it is the other way around, * selecting the
> whole symbol and g* selecting one part of the word---but only
> `evil-symbol-word-search` is non-nil. This difference is certainly not
> expected behaviour (so it's a bug).

Ahh, in my case 'evil-symbol-word-search' was nil (which is AFAIK
default); after setting it to 't', it reversed behavior which is like
in Vim. I'm curious, why 'evil-symbol-word-search' wasn't set to t by
default?

> I'm currently working on some larger modifications in Evil's internal
> motion stuff. One thing that will (probably) be implemented is the
> possibility to make 'word' motions work on Emacs 'symbols' rather than
> Emacs 'words', which is usually closer to Vim.

This will be highly welcomed :) Will this make completion (C-n/C-p)
smarter? I noticed if I have e.g. 'foo' (foo inside quotes), Evil
doesn't know to complete foo, unless word is started with quote
(e.g. 'fo).

> Best regards,
> Frank

Best,