buffer-menu remapping my movement keys in motion state

Frank Fischer frank-fischer at shadow-soft.de
Tue Feb 18 19:20:59 CET 2014

Am 17.02.2014 12:56, schrieb Alexandre Pereira:
> I've remaped my HJKL to JKLÇ both in normal and in motion states, but
> for some reason when I enter the buffer-menu the movement keys are
> rebound to HJKL, but ONLY in motion state, if I switch to normal state
> I get my JKLÇ back. This is even more odd since it has never happened
> before and I've found no reason for this to happen. Furthermore, it
> only seems to rebind those four keys.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this?

Usually mode specific keys have priority over motion-state keys because
otherwise many useful keybindings would be overwritten by Evil keys.
This problem arises particularly in buffers that use motion-state
because the corresponding modes typically bind their commands to "simple
keys". However, the motion keys hjkl are quite useful for most Evil
users, so as a compromise Evil ensures that these few keys have priority
over the mode specific bindings.

Evil uses the macro `evil-add-hjkl-bindings` in `evil-integration.el` to
bind the motion keys so that they are not overwritten by buffer-menu
keys. Unfortunately this macro always binds h,j,k and l, and there is
currently no way to disable this behaviour or to change the keys to be
bound (you could, of course, comment out the corresponding line in
`evil-integration.el` or change the code of `evil-add-hjkl-bindings` in
`evil.core.el`).

Best regards,