Evil numbered register behavior vis-a-vis vim

Currell Berry currellberry at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 01:52:42 CET 2014

Hello,

First thanks to all who work on Evil.  It makes my days working in emacs
much better.

One feature I use a lot in vim is, use 'yy' to yank a line, perform some
arbitrary editing, possibly including deletions, trusting that vim will
hold onto the yanked text in the 0 register until I yank another text, and
then, finally, pasting the text back with '"0p'.  Evil doesn't implement
the same behavior here.

This link describes how it's supposed to work in vim.

http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/advanced-vim-registers/
"""
Numbered registers

The read-only registers 0 through 9 are your "historical record" registers.
The register 0 will always contain the most recently yanked text, but never
deleted text; this is handy for performing a yank operation, at least one
delete operation, and then pasting the text originally yanked with "0p.

The registers 1 through 9 are for deleted text, with "1 referencing the
most recently deleted text, "2 the text deleted before that, and so on up
to "9.
"""

Note that register 0 never contains deleted text.  In Evil (I have version
1.0-dev) register 0 DOES contain deleted text (try it out), therefore the
workflow described above does not work.

I'm not sure if this is done on purpose or you've had this discussion
before, but I know I'd love this particular feature to work the same way as
vim.  Would this be easy to fix?

Thanks,

Currell