Best way to extend parenthesis matching in EVIL to other symbols

gordon Gustafson gordon3.14 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 23:29:19 CEST 2013

I want to extend Evil's % command to work with matching $'s and
delimiters like \left and \right (this is for working with latex).
Would I need to modify the source for evil-jump-item directly, or is
there some more modular way to do this, like advising the function?
I'm Elisp savvy, so a high-level description is all I need.

Thanks you for you time,

Gordon Gustafson

PS I sincerely apologize if I'm posting this is the wrong place :)