evil-lookup-func settings in evil-mode

Frank Fischer frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Jun 24 08:49:40 CEST 2013

Hongxu Chen <leftcopy.chx at gmail.com> writes:

>   I am writing some c code with Emacs evil-mode and I find that now and
>   then I need to lookup the man pages. It is easy enough when in Evil
>   normal state, by pressing `K', which invokes `evil-lookup'. However
>   the funcall is specified by `evil-lookup-func', so eventually the
>   function called is Emacs function `woman' rather than `man'. The
>   problem is that woman sucks for some formats of manpages, for
>   instance, the table in the manpage of `man', and she also displays
>   margin between words poorly.  So I hope to set `evil-lookup-func' to
>   `man'. But I CANNOT since the definition in man.el(.gz) tells me that
>   `man' takes ONE argument. So I re-bind `K' for myself:
>
>   (evil-global-set-key 'normal (kbd "K") 'man)

The binding is in motion state map, not normal state map (the latter
inherits the former), so try 'motion instead of 'normal.

However, I'm not sure if `evil-lookup-func` is vastly useful. Probably
it's better to remove this variable completely and let the user rebind
"K" if (s)he prefers a different command. This should not be much more
difficult.

Best regards,