Fundamental mode and undo-tree-mode

Linus Arver linusarver at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 21:49:41 CET 2013

Hello list,

When I open a file with an unrecognized extension, my Emacs opens it in
Fundamental mode (which is what I want). I have Evil enabled with

    (require 'evil)
    (evil-mode 1)

but the file's buffer does not have undo-tree-mode enabled. I have to
manually enable it with

    M-x undo-tree-mode

. I tried adding

    (global-undo-tree-mode)

in my ~/.emacs, but I get nothing. I also tried adding

    (add-hook 'evil-after-load-hook
        (lambda ()
            (undo-tree-mode)
        )
    )

but it doesn't help. If I set my emacs' default major mode to text-mode,
then undo-tree gets enabled and everything works, but I don't want to
use this workaround. I also tried deleting all of my ~/.emacs except for
these lines

    (require 'evil)
    (evil-mode 1)

, but I still get the same behavior. Interestingly, the *Messages*
buffer has undo-tree-mode enabled with this same configuration.

Does anyone have the same issues with Fundamental Mode + Undo Tree Mode
when opening a file?

-L