<backspace> not bound properly in haskell-mode

Keshav Kini keshav.kini at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 15:40:13 CEST 2012

When I have a .hs file open in a buffer (i.e. with haskell-mode
activated), it seems that typing <backspace> in <N> state actually
deletes characters. Investigating a bit, I see that in other modes - such
as message-mode, in which I'm typing this email - doing describe-key on
<backspace> yields the following:

    DEL (translated from <backspace>) runs the command
    evil-backward-char, which is an interactive compiled Lisp function
    in `evil-commands.el'.

In haskell-mode, however, I get:

    <backspace> runs the command
    haskell-indentation-delete-backward-char, which is an interactive
    compiled Lisp function in `haskell-indentation.el'.

The difference I notice is that in the first, we have "DEL (translated
from <backspace>)", but in the second, just "<backspace>". From this I
gather that evil-mode probably traps the key DEL, but not the key
<backspace>.

Should evil-mode perhaps trap <backspace> directly as well as DEL? Or is
this a bug in haskell-mode, i.e. should haskell-mode be trapping DEL
instead of <backspace>?

-Keshav