IRC channel

Frank Fischer frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun May 27 21:31:26 CEST 2012

Am Sat, 26 May 2012 11:13:54 -0700
schrieb Keshav Kini <keshav.kini at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> If I (or someone) made an IRC channel on freenode for evil-mode, would
> users/developers be interested in hanging out there to field questions
> or have realtime dev discussion? I feel that it might be more
> accessible to users than the mailing list, but for evil-mode's
> audience that might not be true, I guess.

In principle I'm not against this although I'm a little bit skeptical.
The IRC would require being online a lot (or needs a relatively large
user base so that at each time at least someone is online, but evil is
(still) a small project). That's the advantage of a mailing list, it's
more offline and "round based" instead of real-time (which has its own
advantages, of course). And nobody expects an immediate answer.
Furthermore (I can't speak of others, of course) my own online time is
relatively limited so my "hanging around" would probably be quite
infrequent (in fact, I've not used IRC for a long time now).

On the other hand, it may help (new) users if enough active users
participate. It does not cost anything, so why not give it try?