Pasted text and repeat ring

Barry OReilly gundaetiapo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 17:29:34 CEST 2012

I'll move the discussion of
https://bitbucket.org/lyro/evil/issue/164/pasted-text-not-in-repeat-ring
to the mailing list in case others are interested.  The topic is what
Evil does with the repeat ring when the user pastes text (via eg X11)
while in insert mode.

> vim has similar problems and a simple "solution" everything before the mouse click is dropped and the recording starts again. Probably the vim people have no good solution for the mouse-click problem, too.

I see what you mean in gvim.  If point moves due to mouse click it
starts the recording again, though if I mouse-click where point
already is, it doesn't drop the recording.  I think gvim's behavior
makes sense actually, given a mouse click is deemed non recordable.

> Probably most evil-users do not use the mouse that often anyway

The choice is limited if pasting from another application's frame.  I
just realized I made a language error when I said "window" in the
original description.  I meant "frame" or "the desktop environment's
window".  Sorry about that.