Confused by what command is "dot repeatable"

York Zhao gtdplatform at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 02:14:22 CEST 2012

Hi,

I still find myself confused by the "dot repeating" in Evil. I have many
commands, some of them are "automatically" dot repeatable but others are not.
For example, I have these two commands:

(defun foo ()
  (interactive)

  (kill-region beg end)

  (insert ...)

  ...)

(defun bar ()
  (interactive)

  (insert ...))

I don't see any essential difference between these two commands, except that
`foo' was being executed in org-mode while `bar' in c++-mode. And I have no idea
why command "foo" is dot repeatable but "bar" is not. I had tried using

(evil-declare-change-repeat 'bar)

but still, "bar" is not "dot" repeatable. I'm confused by what has made "foo"
repeatable. I don't have time to look deeply in the repeat system in Evil so I
would appreciate it if someone could give me some quick answer to my question.

Thanks,
York