"C-r" in visual mode "r" command

York Zhao gtdplatform at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 00:18:47 CEST 2011

> FWIW, the following produces what you want in Vim and Evil alike:
>
> 1. Yank the string into the register "a".
> 2. Select the first column.
> 3. Press "c".
> 4. Paste from the register with "C-r a".
>
> (Since the change operation copies the original column into
> the " register, we have to use another register.)

I had actually tried this before, but I didn't use the register, instead I used
`"' in "C-r" and it didn't work. I thought using register and `"' should be the
same because `"' is a register too. Because of your email I tried it again with
`"' and still not work, I then followed exactly your steps and worked. I then
tried it in Vim and got exactly the same results. But I really don't understand
why regular register worked but `"' as register doesn't work.

Thanks,

York