evil disregard for mark-active

Timothy Harper timcharper at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 19:46:26 CEST 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 10:31 AM, Vegard Øye wrote:

> On 2011-09-11 23:25 +0200, Timothy Harper wrote:
>
>> Normally, when you (setq mark-active nil) it clears the mark.
>> When evil is engaged that is not the case. Is this intentional?
>
> It does clear the mark, but the Visual selection remains active.
> I'll look into it.
>
> Note that the preferred way of clearing the mark is to call the
> function `deactivate-mark', which also runs `deactivate-mark-hook'.
> This should work without problems.
>
> --
> Vegard

Hmm, you're absolutely right. It's strange to me that (sets mark-active nil) works… that's totally an undocumented behavior and should not be relied upon.

http://www.gnu.org/s/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/The-Mark.html

Evil properly responds to the said function, and also (setq deactivate-mark t).

I'll let the developer know about the problematic emacs code.  I say ignore this issue.

Tim