Evil experiences

Tom Short tshort.rlists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:45:43 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-09-08 01:55 +0200, Tom Short wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I would get into a buffer that wouldn't start in any state
>> known to evil, and so C-z and ESC didn't do what I wanted.
>
> Hm ... examples?

Vegard, for me, the main mode that caused problems for me was
ess-help, so I needed the following to make it start right:

(eval-after-load 'ess-help
 '(progn
    (add-hook 'ess-help-mode-hook 'evil-change-to-initial-state)
    ))

I just double checked this one, and it doesn't start up in any state
without the lines above. If I call M-x make-indirect-buffer on a
buffer, the new indirect buffer doesn't come up in any state.

I've run across a couple more, but I either can't remember or can't
recreate them. I thought another one was the occur-mode buffer, but it
doesn't do that now, so either I remembered that wrong or something's
changed (I just upgraded evil and emacs 24).

- Tom