Toggling evil-local-mode off when updating buffers with magit

Nikolai Weibull now at bitwi.se
Fri Nov 18 12:29:53 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 11:20, Frank Fischer
<frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 09:47:35AM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
>> Running ‹make terminal› works and after saying no to running the tests
>> (running the tests gives the same result) I run the following:
>>
>> C-x C-f evil-ex.el C-m M-: (revert-buffer t t nil) C-m
>>
>> resulting in
>>
>> Toggling evil-local-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.
>
> But does it disable evil? Here evil is immediately enabled again (as
> it should be).

Doh.  Sorry, that was absolutely stupid of me.   I just saw the
toggling message and figured that it was off.

OK, here’s a way that works:

cd evil-git-dir
emacs -nw -Q -L . -l evil.el --eval "(evil-mode 1)"
C-x C-f a i a <Esc> C-x C-s M-: (revert-buffer t t nil) C-m

The buffer a should be in Fundamental mode.  You can also use M-x
revert-buffer to get the same result.

For some reason Evil-Local is restored if you do this for, for
example, evil-ex.el, but not for a.

I tried the same by creating a buffer called a.rb, which starts in
Ruby mode.  This gave the same behavior as for evil-ex.el.  I’ve had
this problem with Ruby files, so it shouldn’t depend on that.