Toggling evil-local-mode off when updating buffers with magit

Nikolai Weibull now at bitwi.se
Thu Nov 17 22:30:27 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 17:11, Frank Fischer
<frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 04:16:51PM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
>>
>> Ah, might the problem be that I use, for example,
>>
>>   (define-key evil-insert-state-local-map "e" 'ruby-electric-end-character)
>>
>> in my ruby-mode-hook?  So when magit reverts a ruby buffer,
>> ruby-mode-hook is run, the define-key above is run, but then
>> evil-local-mode is in the wrong state and is turned off instead of on
>> or something?

> That would be surprising as the state's behavior has nothing to do
> with the keymaps. The keymaps are just for the user as usual Emacs
> keymaps are.

That’s what I thought.

As I’ve understood it, from reading up on evil-local-mode, it can be
used when you only want Evil in some buffers.  I want Evil everywhere.
 For me, both evil-mode and evil-local-mode are enabled in all
buffers, but is getting disabled by revert-buffer and it being
disabled disables Evil in my buffers.