vi keys in minibuffer (was Re: ido color problem when vimpulse is loaded)

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Wed Jan 26 12:37:12 CET 2011

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Stephen Bach <sjbach at sjbach.com> wrote:

>>> I imagine some people might like it, but not me. It was one of the first
>>> things I disabled when starting to use Viper. It's somewhat similar to
>>> shell vi emulation -- switching to and from insert mode for quick
>>> single-line editing feels like more trouble than it's worth to me.
>>
>> FWIW, I do use the vi-keys-in-minibuffer behaviour (and also vi
>> emulation in bash/zsh), but it's probably something I could learn to
>> live without.
>
> I don't use VI mode in the mini buffer myself. I find it also to be
> more trouble than it's worth.

+1

However, I have a dual Emacs/vi background anyway (used to use Emacs for
"large" things and vi for "small" things), so I could well imagine that
die-hard vi users would prefer vi-keys-in-minibuffer.  I presume this
discussion is about what should be the default behavior, not whether
vi-keys-in-minibuffer should be dropped completely.

Cheers,

Christoph

--
Christoph Lange, Jacobs Univ. Bremen, http://kwarc.info/clange, Skype