Why does :q kill my emacs?

Titus von der Malsburg malsburg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:41:02 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-01-26 09:40, Guivho wrote:
> I'm all ears to suggestions regarding daemon/client mode. Maybe :q
> should call `server-edit' (bound to "C-x #" by server.el) when the
> buffer was initiated by emacsclient?

I'm new to Vimpulse, so please forgive me if the following doesn't make sense.

When coming from Vim, you're used to have many Vim instances which you
often quit.  When working with Vimpulse and emacsclient, you have one
emacs instance instead and the pattern to use :q to close files
doesn't make much sense anymore.  But I'd prefer to learn using :bd or
C-x # over redefining :q to mean something else than quit.

Apart from that, if :q kills only a client, what would you use to quit emacs?

  Titus