Vimpulse: Vim's insert char below/above cursor

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 20 20:02:52 CET 2011

On 2011-02-19 15:37, Sébastien Rocca-Serra wrote:

> I just wrote a small function to emulate Vim’s i_CTRL_E and
> i_CTRL_Y. Please feel free to use it, change the names, or not use
> it. The code is here: http://gist.github.com/834957

Thanks for your contribution. I'm forwarding this to the mailing list,
as Štěpán Němec sent me some similar code recently, which also deals
with tabs and control characters. It's added in commit 853ba91.

I wonder about the prefix argument, though. Currently, it specifies
the number of lines to move forward or backward, like in your
implementation. Wouldn't it make better sense to specify the number of
characters to copy? I don't see myself typing "C-3 C-e C-3 C-e" to
copy text character by character from three lines ahead, but I might
do "C-5 C-e" to get a chunk of characters at once. What do you think?

--
Vegard