evil-next-line doesn't work as expected under visual-line-mode

Titus von der Malsburg malsburg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 13:24:51 CET 2011

Hi Michael,

I should have said in my last mail that your code does exactly what I
want.  So thank you very much for that!

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Michael Markert
<markert.michael at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Vim wraps like `visual-line-mode' by default and `gj'
> is already present in vim:

I don't think ':set wrap' does the same as visual-line-mode.  The
documentation of visual-line-mode says:

  "It turns on word-wrapping in the current buffer, and rebinds C-a,
C-e, and C-k to commands that operate by visual lines instead of
logical lines."

Vim, at least the versions I have worked with (whatever Debian or
Ubuntu provided over the last ten years), does something different.
First, it doesn't wrap at word-boundaries but wherever the window
ends.  Also, the analogous commands to C-a, C-e, C-k in Vim operate on
the buffer line (as stored in the file) instead of on the visual line.
 E.g. d$ deletes until the next newline character, whereas C-k under
visual-line-mode kills only the rest of the visual line.  In fact,
switching off visual-line-mode gives me more or less the same behavior
as Vim.

Thanks again for providing a fix for my problem!

  Titus