dw and db not working quite right; search bug; visual selection options

Leo Alekseyev dnquark at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 22:33:55 CET 2011

Hi all,
I've started playing around with Evil recently, and am quite
impressed.  Unlike most people here, I come from almost purely Emacs
background with very little Vim experience.

I've run into a couple of issues:

First, dw and db don't seem to work very consistently for me combined
with the '.' key.  In particular, the following occurs:

(1) When doing dw or db and then pressing ... a few times, "After 0
kbd macro iterations: Quit " message will pop up in the minibuffer
when pressing '.', and deletion repetitions no longer work.  Movement
commands don't clear the error; I need to repeat dw or db again, or
toggle insert mode.

(2) dw ....... doesn't work across lines; when end-of-line is reached,
it starts deleting backwards instead of deleting words on a new line.

There isn't a particular sequence of actions that I found that
triggers those errors, but they appear often enough to render dw and
db unusable for me.  Is it a known issue and is there a workaround?

Second, there appears to be a bug with evil-search-forward and C-g.
In the help, it says "C-g when search is successful aborts and moves
point to starting point."  (This is in fact standard emacs behavior.)
This doesn't work for me; point stays at the first match, and to get
back to the starting point I need to hit C-o.  It's kind of annoying
because I often cancel searches.

Finally, is there a setting equivalent to Vim's :set
selection=exclusive?  Coming from Emacs, I find visual mode's current
"inclusive" behavior to be deeply strange.

I'll ease myself into using Evil more over the next few days.  We'll
see how it's going to co-exist with my existing emacs usage patterns
:)

Cheers,
--Leo