Feature request: put the mode indicator more on the left

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 28 18:24:14 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-21 16:22 +0200, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> I see that the mode indicator (<V>, <I>, etc) is the last thing
> on the right of the status bar. ... Is there a way to put the
> mode indicator more on the left?

Responding to an older thread: Evil commit fb86c91 adds the
customization variable `evil-mode-line-format', which governs the
position of the mode line tag. If the variable is set to the value
`before', Evil indicates the current state before the mode list
instead of after it:

    (setq evil-mode-line-format 'before)

Internally, this is done by altering the variable `mode-line-position'.
I don't know how robust it is, but if we don't encounter any problems,
we might make it the default.

--
Vegard