OT: Format=Flowed e-mails [Re: Self-introduction of a new vimpulse user]

Christoph LANGE langec at web.de
Sun Oct 31 21:36:15 CET 2010

Sunday 2010-10-31 20:55 Vegard Øye:
> Actually, there exists a technical solution to this problem:
> Format=Flowed.
>     http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt

Thanks for the background! – I didn't know that.  Indeed KMail does
not support it.  I have just voted for that bug.

> (Plus that I would need to come up with a way to distinguish flowed
> passages from unflowed, since I don't want code fragments and the
> like to flow. It's not impossible -- I tend to indent code by four
> spaces, so I could conceivably write a routine in Emacs which
> overlooks such lines and adds trailing spaces to the rest.)

A quick Google search tells me, IIUC, that it has at least been
implemented in an Emacs-based mail client, and that _that_
implementation respects Emacs's filling behavior in that it
distinguishes hard newlines from the soft newlines that line filling
generates:

http://www.gnus.org/manual/emacs-mime_16.html

Not sure, however, if that is helpful when merely using Emacs as an
external editor for some other mail client.

Cheers,

Christoph

--
Christoph Lange, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Langec, Skype duke4701