[implementations-list] Mailing list administration, Gmane

Jason Spiro jasonspiro3 at gmail.com
Tue May 25 23:44:24 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Štěpán Němec <stepnem at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a next step in my diabolic plan, I'd like to subscribe the list to
> Gmane <http://gmane.org>. It provides a lot of nice features, including
> convenient searching interface, easy linking to mails, threads etc. I've
> come to really like it (this is actually currently the only list without
> Gmane mirror I'm following; I read all the others in Gnus via Gmane).

Sure, feel free to fill in their add form.  But if you want Gmane to
import the archives, don't fill in the add form; ask us to do it
instead.  Note that this might require more steps than a usual Gmane
archives import, as ourproject.org is the list host, so we might have
to ask them for a tarball of the archives.

> Any objections/ideas?
>
> In any case, please could the mailing list maintainership be transferred
> or extended to Vegard? If Jason is the only maintainer (or not?), I'm
> guessing we're going to wait for his reply for about a month.

Alessandro and I are the list co-admins.  If Vegard wants to take over
list co-adminship from Alessandro, that's fine with me; in fact, I
think it's a good idea, since I have so little time for
Vimpulse-related tasks.  I suggest that he phone me at +1 (416)
992-3445 between 11AM and 11PM Eastern Standard Time (Toronto time) to
set a password.

Štěpán, if Vegard doesn't reply within two weeks, you can be my list
co-admin instead.  Phone me.

Mailman requires that all list co-admins must know one shared
password.  I don't like that but don't want to bother writing to the
Mailman folks.

--
Jason Spiro: software/web developer, packager, trainer, IT consultant.
I support Linux, UNIX, Windows, and more. Contact me to discuss your needs.