[implementations-list] style; VCS

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 19 19:21:39 CET 2010

> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:41:39 +0100
> From: stepnem at gmail.com
>
> BTW, now I looked, they do actually advertise Git, too. Is that a
> paid service?

Git, SVN and Mercurial are free for small projects up to 2 GB.

> My suggestion came partly from my selfish interest, although I do
> think that having a DVCS repository might provide bigger incentive
> for possible contributors. As well as ease the development.

Yeah, speaking of selfish interest, the main selling point for a
distributed version control system is of course that it may make
contributing code easier. ("Contributors are the lifeblood of
Vimpulse." -- rev. 30 commit message)

The main problem with distributed version control as of now is there's
too many contenders. Git? Mercurial? Bazaar? Darcs? Monotone? At least
everyone's familiar with SVN, and TortoiseSVN is pretty mature (while
TortoiseHg has some rough edges by comparison). Git may be confusing
to a Mercurial user, and vice versa ...

However, I am not saying I am opposed to distributed version control:
Mercurial gives everyone a local repository "for free" with which they
can do as they like, before sharing their efforts with export (diffs)
or push. I run a local SVN server on my machine solely for the purpose
of mimicking this, actually.

> I don't think you would lose revision history, though, both Git and
> Mercurial can import SVN repositories AFAIK.

I am the maintainer of viper-in-more-modes.el, so let's do some
preliminary tests. Assembla space:

    http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/viper-in-more-modes

I added Mercurial to the space and ran

    hg convert http://svn6.assembla.com/svn/viper-in-more-modes
    hg update

to create a local Mercurial repository from SVN. Then, using
TortoiseHg's Synchronize screen, I pushed that repository to the
official one, below:

    http://hg.assembla.com/viper-in-more-modes

There were some access restrictions initially, but I think they are
sorted out now. Would you mind testing the Mercurial repository?
Can you tell me if the conversion was successful?

Vegard