Terminal TAB key and character

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 3 12:57:33 CEST 2010

On 2010-07-03 12:23, Štěpán Němec wrote:

> Are you saying that when you do C-h c C-i and C-h c <tab> in emacs -nw
> under Windows, you get different results?

Yes. The first is bound to `vimpulse-jump-forward', the second to
`indent-for-tab-command'. And when I jump back three times with
C-o C-o C-o, I can jump forwards with C-i C-i C-i, but not with

> How does emacs -nw on Windows even look like?

Spartan. :)

I'm attaching a 11 kB PNG file showing Emacs under cmd.exe.
Let's see if it gets through.

> If there's a way to somehow re-program a text terminal to send
> something different for <tab> and C-i, then I'm yet to hear about it
> (it might be possible, I'm no expert on terminals), but you
> certainly can't rely upon such behaviour.

And sure enough, Vim does not. Vim treats <Tab> and CTRL-I as the same
key. In vanilla Vim, you can go to a newer jump position with <Tab>;
and in my Vim, where I rebind <Tab> to <Esc>, I can exit Insert mode
with CTRL-I.

--
Vegard