[implementations-list] viper-in-more-modes and Vimpulse (was: viper-in-more-modes still ...)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro3 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 04:27:08 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Stephen Bach <sjbach at sjbach.com> wrote:

> Is there a good reason to keep viper-in-more-modes individual from
> vimpulse?  It seems unlikely to me that anyone who uses the former would
> not also use the latter.

I see two reasons:

1.  Some people might want viper-in-more-modes but not vimpulse.
Vimpulse isn't stable yet.  I don't use viper-in-more-modes, but it's
a simpler piece of software and is more likely to be stable.

2.  Also, the two projects have two different maintainers.  But if
Alessandro continues to be too busy to work on vimpulse, then I think
Vegard should ask Alessandro to make Vegard co-maintainer or the new
sole maintainer.

> Also, the extensions in vimpulse may be things
> we would want to use in these other modes.  I don't think we need to
> integrate the two packages, but I don't think it's worth enforcing a
> separation.

viper-in-more-modes already adds keys to certain modes to enable
Vimpulse visual mode.  So, in effect, viper-in-more-modes provides
Vimpulse support already.

> P.S. Jason: my first attempt to send this message was rejected because
> the mailing list service didn't recognize the content type of my PGP
> signature.  If it's configurable, you may want to relax this constraint.

I set Mailman Content Filtering filter_action to "preserve".  I'd
appreciate it if you let me and the list know if this fixed your
problem or not.