[implementations-list] How important is a Vimpulse user manual? How to make one? Copy from Vim docs?

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:18:19 CET 2010

> From: jasonspiro3 at gmail.com
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 03:52:13 -0500
>
>> I think stand-alone Viper requires too much knowledge too early:
>> for instance, there's no h/j/k/l navigation in the help buffers, as
>> Viper disables itself in a number of cases to avoid overriding
>> special keymaps.
>
> I think people can just use the arrow keys and Enter in Info mode. :)

Yes. But to the seasoned Vim user with his hands at the home row, the
annoyance will be there. (If you're going to use Vim keys in Emacs,
you're probably somewhat seasoned. :)

Anyway, I added some utility code to vimpulse-misc-keybindings.el in
changeset [58] to address this in time. The idea is that there are two
forms of vi navigation: the "core" commands, like h/j/k/l, and the
rest. The core commands should, in general, be available in every
mode, even if this means overwriting the mode's own bindings for these
keys. On the other hand, the rest of the vi navigation commands -- w,
e, b, f, etc. -- are optional: they are only added if their keys don't
already do something else. Thus w may move forward by words or it may
not, while h always moves one character to the left, no matter what.

The code is smart enough that if you have rearranged the vi bindings
(perhaps to use a different keyboard layout), this is duplicated when
the commands are bound in the various modes. I'll put it to work soon.

Vegard