el-get and vimpulse

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 21:00:04 CEST 2010

Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:

> We all know the (lovely?) feature of Vim to treat no files ever as
> binary by default.
>
> Now el-get is using url-retrieve to fetch tar files and using write-file
> to write it.
>
> Now either vimpulse (or Viper?) is appending a trailing \n which makes
> tar complain about trailing garbage exiting with code 2.
>
> How would you recommend to solve this issue?
>
> I didn't start reading much vimpulse / Viper code yet.
> Maybe there is a simple option (?)

Try `C-h v require-final-newline':

---
Documentation:
Whether to add a newline automatically at the end of the file.

A value of t means do this only when the file is about to be saved.
A value of `visit' means do this right after the file is visited.
A value of `visit-save' means do it at both of those times.
Any other non-nil value means ask user whether to add a newline, when saving.
A value of nil means don't add newlines.

Certain major modes set this locally to the value obtained
from `mode-require-final-newline'.

You can customize this variable.
---

HTH,