[ANN] Vimpulse has moved to Gitorious

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 20:27:45 CEST 2010

Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> writes:

> Vimpulse has changed its hosting provider from Assembla to Gitorious.
> The project is now located at:
>
>     http://gitorious.org/vimpulse
>
> The new Git repository can be cloned with:
>
>     git clone git://gitorious.org/vimpulse/vimpulse.git
>
> I recommend just deleting the old repository and cloning the new,
> because I have modified the Git history to sort out some early SVN
> conversion mess. (If you have made local changes to the old repository,
> you can rebase them with `git rebase' or patch your work with
> `git format-patch' and `git am'. Sorry for the inconvenience.)

I figured I'd provide a bit more info for the curious, so it doesn't
look like a pure whim -- the only (AFAIK), but crucial, problem with
Assembla's free-as-in-free-beer Git hosting is that it doesn't permit
non-fast-forward upgrades, so that's the impulse for Vimpulse changing
home again.

(Unrelated practical annoyances with Assembla were the mysterious bug
tracker and double wiki, which was subject of earlier threads on this
list. If you want to say "but Gitorious sucks!" (has no bug tracker,
allegedly zero-level support and what not), then you might be right, but
all *I* care about (and this is of course just my opinion) is a Git repo
that's free in all senses of the word.)

As to the history modifications Vegard made: he also decided that commit
summaries without periods are better than the former practice, so he
modified (almost) all the commit messages. (Vegard, could you please
also adjust the recommendations in CONTRIBUTE to that effect?)

Štěpán