[implementations-list] hello; list archives; viper remap; 3 Qs

Bayle Shanks bshanks.list at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 22:33:46 CEST 2009

Hi, I just thought I'd mention that the mailing list archives end in July.
Apologies if this has already been reported.

While I'm here, I guess I should introduce myself and my project, and ask
some questions. I've been using Emacs awhile but not at an advanced level.
Recently I heard a rumor that Emacs is bad for one's hands due to chording,
and I have RSI problems, so I thought I'd check out Viper. Since I'm
learning something new anyway, I decided to remap the Viper keyboard layout
with the goal of minimizing chording and maximizing efficiency. Here is my
current layout idea: http://bayleshanks.com/tips-computer-viperRemap . I've
already implemented most of it, but it's not done yet.

Some of the Viper elisp functions hardcoded some of the keystrokes, so I
modified those (work-in-progress is at
http://bayleshanks.com/src/home/emacs.d/viper-cmds-remap.el)-- I'll submit
this part as a patch to Kifer when it's done. In addition, in a separate
file (http://bayleshanks.com/src/home/emacs.d/viper-remap.el), I added some
options to optionally alter the functionality of some commands (e.g. the
"substitute char" command can be made to return to Vi command Mode when you
leave the substitution area) and am adding some new commands that conserve
keyboard real estate (e.g. combine / and n, combine m and `). This file also
contains the code to actually remap the keys to my remapped layout. I'll
post again when I'm done. Both of these files are linked to from the page
http://bayleshanks.com/tips-computer-viperRemap.

Questions: there's a few things i'm considering changing but maybe there's a
reason that i don't know for them being the way they are. Could anyone tell
me what the motivation is for the following / in what common sequences of
actions the following is more efficient than the alternative:

* vimpulse's selection region being different from the Emacs region
* the cursor moving back one when entering Vi command Mode (i know there's a
config option if i want to change this, but why is it this way?)
* p being "put after" whereas P is "put right here" (i would have thought P
would be more commonly used)

thanks,
  bayle