[implementations-list] Early implementation of new VIM-like mode

Frank Fischer frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Jul 1 21:57:57 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:42:34PM +0200, Alessandro Piras wrote:
>  I think in normal mode you should redirect all unhandled keys to a null
> function. This prevents inserting unhandled printable characters in normal
> mode. Even better, redirecting all printable keys to a null function and
> pushing back the unhandled keys to unread-command-events, so that it's
> possible to leave some emacs-binding even in normal mode.
> what do you think?

That's already possible: each mode can have a default-handler.  This
function is called in the case of an unhandled event.  If this function
returns nil the event will be forwarded to emacs.  Currently, there's no
such function for normal mode, but this should require only
a few lines.  (btw, other modes like visual-mode could behave
similarily by just providing an appropriate default-handler)