[implementations-list] Welcome, Vegard, our newest committer

Jason Spiro jasonspiro3 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 18:33:14 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Based on this, I'll add #2 to the code immediately, and put #3 on the
> TODO list.

Thank you.  By the way, I haven't been using the TODO list stored in
the file "TODO" lately; I've instead been using the bug tracker for
all new ideas I've had.  This lets other people submit ideas, and
gives them equal billing with committers' ideas.  But I wonder if the
bug tracker is really best to use though.

> After some diffing, it seems that revision 14 is most similar to the
> one that's found on EmacsWiki (there's a docstring which is formatted
> slightly differently). I'll tag that.

OK.

> From Donald R. Robertson, the FSF clerk, in a post forwarded to the
> mailing list in June:
>
>> It's not really an exact science. Copyright protects a somewhat
>> nebulous idea known as expression, and that concept isn't
>> necessarily tied to length of a work. A very short work, like say a
>> poem, may contain copyrightable expression whereas a very long work,
>> like a phone book, may not. A sort of rule of thumb that we use is
>> that something less than 15 lines is unlikely to be copyright
>> significant, while something more than 15 lines is more likely. In
>> the end, the maintainer really has to look at the quality as well as
>> quantity of the work and decide whether it's worth assigning or not.
>
> http://lists.ourproject.org/pipermail/implementations-list/2009-June/000044.html

Ah, I must've remembered that email wrongly; I apologize for that.
Thanks for refreshing my memory.