[PeDAGoG] Fwd: WAR BY OTHER NAMES / Act 2

Alessandra Pomarico alessandrapomarico at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 17:35:20 CET 2022

dear friends and comrades,
sorry for the last minute forwarding... lots of organizings on different
levels...
..
please, if you are interested in following these conversations (they will
be happening every Sunday with different invited guests) , feel free to
subscribe the mailing list writing to :
<assembling at 16beavergroup.org>
or to
<mai at 16beavergroup.org>
----------

Dear Friends, Comrades,

We started this process of assembling together virtually nearly 2 years
ago. We never could have imagined then, that this process could become
such a rich communal infrastructure for sharing our urgent questions and
tending to them together. Thanks to each of you for nourishing and
creating this space of trust and generosity.

It is in this spirit that we would like to invite you this Sunday March
6, 12pm for the second act of War By Other Names.

Together with Olga Kopenkina and Dmitry Vilensky, we have imagined this
summit-in-acts as an attempt to create a space to think together and
consider potential actions responding to the Russian military invasion
of Ukraine.

This week is Dmitry's turn to introduce the day. Rather than write a
text, he thought to share a question and potential heading to begin our
conversation:

Learning to Resist in Times of Wars

Irina Zherebkina from Kharkiv, Yevgenia Belorusets and Mikola Rydny from
Kyiv are among those invited who have said they would like to join.

Below you will find login details and the short introduction for Sunday
and the summit.

_____________________________________
SUNDAY'S SUMMIT

Please Note: Start time is 12pm
Unique Login and Password

Sunday March 6th, 2022
12:00 PM (EST)

https://zoom.us/join

Meeting ID: 934 0924 8883
Passcode: Exter

__________________________________
INVITATION

This Sunday, March 6th, we would like to invite you to the second
encounter and share with you Dmitry Vilensky's question:

Learning to resist in times of wars

__________________________________
INTRODUCTION TO WAR BY OTHER NAMES

Since 2020, we have been testing assembling drawing on friendships old
and new from all the various parts of our shared planet, considering the
current conjuncture. We felt then, in the urgencies of 'lockdown' and
imposed 'social distancing' to find new ways of recomposing the
cartographies of struggle in the face of what could only be another
crisis through which states and capital would opportunistically
manipulate toward their advantage.

Our thesis has been confirmed time and again as states, especially those
bearing the imprint of supremacist mandates, imperial or colonial
histories, have used in the most wretched manner the pandemic and its
conditions of distraction to further their capacities to exert and
extend their will to govern and control.

A global war has been pronounced against a virus. And in the middle of
that war many other wars have and are taking place. Wars against
indigenous communities, migrant peoples, displaced, houseless peoples,
wars of dispossession, wars of occupation, of omission, sometimes as if
by accident, organized neglect, in the name of safety, security, law, of
restoring territorial integrity or restoring old empires.

But these wars are like palimpsests, taking the same writ, the same
sheets of proclamation and rewriting over them new conditions, new
rules, new impositions, and new justifications. Amidst the seas of war
are floating peoples, communities, multitudes who struggle to find a
side, a way, a path toward autonomy, subsistence, if not bare survival.

The current invasion by Russia of Ukraine is a moment of intensification
in an ongoing war, which inherits the legacies of a cold war and the hot
wars which preceded it, always risking to spill into surrounding
territories and justifying new forms of weaponry for forced forms of
pacification. These wars certainly have their locality and specificity
but they cannot be read outside also the larger forces at play.

But understanding these forces also does not necessarily arrive to
understanding how they implicate each of us wherever we are. As we have
asked implicity or explicity in our many assemblies, the Conference of
Butterflies, a Conference in Shards, as well as our vigil, Fukushima at
10, how to reimagine solidarity today?

Over the course of these following weeks, we will try to enter
collectively a process of thinking together the various forces at play,
the questions this invasion by Russia raises, the various modes of
discourse and practice it may call into being in order to struggle
against the supremacist, imperial, colonial, fascist, racist,
patriarchal, capitalist forces which continue to invent and direct new
causes of war and war by other names.

__________________________________
NOTE ON ORGANIZATION

As a form of organizing this summit, we will try to share responsibility
with friends. We began this process leading to this first encounter with
a letter from Dmitry Vilensky of Chto Delat on February 6th asking how
we may organize something together in response to a potentially
devastating war.

Given Belarus's implication in this, we asked our friend Olga Kopenkina
to join us in situating occasions and inviting friends from Ukraine,
Belarus, and beyond to think and share questions.

Whatever we have planned or written has seemed to be inadequate by the
day as the situation has deteriorated from a potential war or attack to
a full scale Russian invasion of Ukraine.

At the level of organization, we would like each encounter to have its
own approach to thinking and finding a way to discuss what is taking
place in a manner that can go beyond news and toward nourishing our ways
to conjoin struggles wherever we are situated.

Please note, for those who have expressed interest in these weeks to join
our assemblings, we have made a list to send to you each week the details
for joining.

If for any reason you prefer to not receive these updates, we have made it
easier.

You can simply write an email to:
assembling-leave at 16beavergroup.org