[PeDAGoG] the barn-raising seminar technique

Christine Dann christine at horomaka.org
Thu Jun 9 23:45:28 CEST 2022

Kia ora PeDaGoGs

I came across the comment by Raymond de Young on seminar methods on
Chris Smaje's Small Farm Future blog. I looked up de Young (info in
italics below) and the Kahn paper he refers to. It all sounded like
something which some of you could use - here's hoping. 😁

Christine

/https://seas.umich.edu/research/faculty/raymond-de-young//
/

//

/Associate Professor//
//Behavior, Education, and Communication//
//Climate + Energy//
//Food Systems//
////
//About//
////
//Raymond De Young, PhD, is a broadly trained psychologist, planner, and
engineer. He is an Associate Professor of Environmental Psychology and
Planning at SEAS and in the Program in the Environment (PitE), and a
Faculty Associate at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols
Arboretum and at the Graham Sustainability Institute. His research focus
is on the process of re-localization, a response to emerging biophysical
limits and the consequences of having deeply disrupted the Earth's
ecosystems. De Young applies conservation and environmental psychology
principles to the challenge of helping people to envision and adopt
frugal behavioral responses that support a life lived well within local
resource limits. Despite what for some people is a dismal forecast, his
work is decidedly hopeful. He is described as neither an optimist nor
pessimist when it comes to human behavior, but rather an idealist
without illusions.//
////
//His current work includes research on (1) helping people to
pre-familiarize themselves with the behavioral aspects of the coming
resource downshift, (2) motivating environmental stewardship using
innate satisfactions and (3) using nature to restore the mental vitality
needed for responding to and coping with the lean and difficult yet
exciting times ahead.//
///

https://smallfarmfuture.org.uk/?p=1958

Of climate crimes, community conflicts and carbon cowboys

6.6.22