[PeDAGoG] Water For Rivers

Ariel Salleh arielsalleh7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 02:27:55 CET 2021

From: mark merritt <merrittmark at hotmail.com>
Subject: Water For Rivers - MEDIA RELEASE March 22, 2021 - Merritt
Date: 22 March 2021 at 4:53:57 PM AEDT

MEDIA RELEASE March 22, 2021

Start – 15-Day River Convoy Calls For Healthier River-flows & Waterways

At 3:pm on April 16, 2021, many boats of all descriptions will launch into the 47-kilometer-long weir-pool at Menindee in Western NSW. This action is to demonstrate deep and growing concerns for the water management practices that have almost destroyed The Darling/Baaka River and The Menindee Lakes.

Last year, during the Covid-19 lock-downs, a woman named Tuesday Browell, based in the Victorian River Murray town of Torrumbarry, built a solar-powered boat styled after an Egyptian Falucca. She named it “Wanambe” meaning River Serpent. When asked by local media what she would do next, an impulsive answer became an historic call to action as she replied; “The Darling/Baaka River needs a bit of support so I will do a trip in the boat to highlight its state.”

Tuesday Browell and her sailor friend Carrol Carney then went on a reconnaissance trip to see if they could get the Wanambe and Carrol’s boat “Sneaky Snag” all the way from Menindee to Wentworth.  But they were shocked at the state of the Darling/Baaka River and its flow.

“This situation beggars belief, said Tuesday Browell.

This world-famous million-year-old river is in its death rattle.

Something must be done now. We can walk across the Darling River at a thousand points and not get our knees wet.

The reality is stark, much of the river below Menindee is only 200mm deep and flowing at about one kilometer an hour. The sparse deep holes and worn bends are linked by just a shallow trickle of clay-laden water. We are inviting anyone to join us to float along and speak from the river’s point of view.”

Ms Browell went on, “Before we left we imagined we would put in at Menindee, then slowly weave our way to Pooncarie about 295 km, then on to Wentworth to join the Murray.” she said.

“We imagined water deep enough to travel on our boats which only have a 250mm draught (about ten inches). We were preparing for a 600km river journey, but were shocked by what we saw.”

The two say their trip is now to be a convoy with purpose. All the boats will launch at Menindee on April 16th for five days of travelling up and down the 47 kilometres of navigable water there.

Then travel over land, and get back into the Darling/Baaka at the Pooncarie Weir on April 21, 2021 for another five days. Then to Wentworth on April 26 to travel, if possible up 70km of river to Ellerslie Station.

 The convoy will finish at the Murray/Darling/Baaka confluence in Wentworth on Saturday May 1, 2021.

It is anticipated the Wentworth paddle steamer “PS Ruby” will come out to join in the convoy when celebrations reach the Wentworth Weir Pool at Lock-10.

Tuesday Browell, Carrol Carney and the many sailors joining them will highlight the longstanding historical First Laws and Rights of Passage on that inland waterway. They urge all boaties and freshwater fishers to join the convoy from Menindee to Wentworth and let their message be loud and clear to the authorities.

Convoy Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Darling-Baarka-River-Convoy-136243708266211/ <https://www.facebook.com/Darling-Baarka-River-Convoy-136243708266211/> - End -

Media enquiries - Tuesday Browell 0428 342 957.

Issued by - Mark Merritt 0427571770 merrittmark at hotmail.com <mailto:merrittmark at hotmail.com>  for - Water For Rivers – Sydney