[PeDAGoG] CfP Re-worlding: Pluriversal politics in the Anthropocene (2nd call)

Carlos Tornel tornelc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 10:00:00 CET 2021

Dear colleagues,

With apologies for cross-posting.

This is the second call for papers for this year's Nordia Geographical
Publications theme issue: *Re-worlding: Pluriversal politics in the
Anthropocene*. Please feel free to get in touch with any questions and
proposals that you might have. We would also appreciate it if you could
forward it to anyone who might be interested to contribute.

Deadline to send the abstracts is March 31st.

*The full call with instructions for submissions can be accessed
here: https://nordia.journal.fi/announcement/view/337
<https://nordia.journal.fi/announcement/view/337>*

Best wishes,

C.

*Call for Papers  *

*Nordia Geographical Publications Theme Issue 2021*

*Re-worlding: Pluriversal politics in the Anthropocene*

Aapo Lunden (Oulu) & Carlos Tornel (Durham) (eds.)

The Geographical Society of Northern Finland and the Geography Research
Unit at the University of Oulu are inviting contributors to the Nordia
Geographical Publications Theme Issue coming out in late 2021 with the
topic Pluriversal Politics in the Anthropocene. The Nordia Geographical
Publications is a peer-reviewed, open access academic journal focusing on
contemporary conversations and openings in Geography.

In describing the world experiencing accelerating change and multifaceted
overheating, the anthropologist Thomas Hylland Eriksen (2016) portrays
contemporary times through powerful endings like the end of cheap nature,
the end of traditional political thought and the end of overarching
generalizations. The exhaustion of neoliberalism and the double bind that
emerges from a relentless pursuit of economic growth and sustainability is
leading to increasingly tangible forms of social and environmental
unsustainability. Therefore, there is an urgency not only to move away from
growth as we know it and reclaiming the commons, but for broader
civilizational changes and transitions (Escobar, 2015; Kallis,et al., 2020).

Moving beyond modernity’s ever-expanding faith in forms of technological
and market-based fixes, “solutionisms” (Morozov 2013) and the trust in
hacking our way out of trouble has become an imperative. Hence, new
political strategies are needed to foregroundontological politics and the
multiplicities of differences or ‘otherness’ instead of a binary or
apotheotic thinking (Rose 2013). In order to conceptualise space for these
necessary transitions, there is a need “to build on the notion of multiple
realities and possibilities implicit in the agenda of many social
movements'' (Escobar, 2020). Turning to such realities, or pluriversal
politics, means engaging with multiple dialogic methods to ‘enhance
appreciation of multiple ways of knowing and being in the world (...) that
decenters models of science and development that have been portrayed as
universally true and good (Paulson, 2018: 85).

Moreover, we aim to depart from recent debates seeking to ”name the system”
in academic discussion mainly between framing our current epoch as the
Anthropocene (Moore 2015; Boneuil and Fressoz, 2016). While we see these
discussions as a fruitful starting point, we instead turn our interest to
the multiple scales of change and follow Hylland Eriksen’s approach in
scaling down to the middle-ground. Here we are interested in
conceptualizations that provide stronger multi-scalar linkages between the
macro and micro, the global and the local (Hylland Eriksen, 2018) to
analyse environmental and social changes in times of increasing shared and
particular planetary vulnerabilities (Mbembe, 2020).

We invite authors to contribute in populating themiddle-ground and discuss
thepluriversal and ontological politics of the Anthropocene. We welcome the
conceptual and theoretical, as well as empirical examples that describe
living and thinking in times of environmental and social change, linking
macro-micro level changes to specific contexts and geographies. The topics
of the contribution include, but are not limited to:

   -

   Multiple scales or multi-scalar clashes in the Anthropocene (Hylland
   Eriksen, 2016);
   -

   Strategies, case studies and the politics of reclaiming the commons,
   resisting terricide (Escobar, 2020) and ecocide in the content of new and
   old forms of extractivisms (Dunlap, 2020);
   -

   Conceptualising the double bind of economic growth and sustainability
   from different scales, places and mobitilities (e.g., in the fields of
   conservation, tourism, or natural resource governance, (see: Buscher &
   Fletcher, 2020);
   -

   Assessments of the COVID-19 pandemic and planetary degradation as a
   crisis of life (syndemic and other combinatory concepts);

   -

   Empirical examples and case studies of pluriversal politics in the
   global North or the global South, highlighting synergies and strategies for
   transitions and ontological politics (Escobar, 2015);
   -

   Strategies and experiences that explore and engage with the
   ‘decolonization of the imaginary’(Latouche, 2009);
   -

   Empirical and/or theoretical contributions exploring the contributions
   to ontological politics to broader conceptualizations of political economy
   or political ecology;

   -

   Problematizations of “plastic words”, development schemes and new
   versions of environmental “high modernity” (Scott, 1998; Sachs, 2018)
   through anti-political perspectives;
   -

   Transitions that aim to articulate changes from ‘predatory’ to
   ‘sensible’ or ‘essential’ forms of extractivism (Brand, 2020);
   -

   The multiple ways that the environmental movements (new and old) can
   engage with pluriversal politics in the Anthropocene.

The contributions can take the form of:

   -

   Peer reviewed research articles (ca. 6000–9000 words), academic essays
   or review articles (ca. 3000–6000 words).
   -

   Editorially reviewed interventions and discussions (ca. 2000–4000 words).