[PeDAGoG] A piece on the physical limits to infinite economic growth

singhvan at rcn.com singhvan at rcn.com
Mon Jun 21 19:31:50 CEST 2021

Hi Naga,
Chirag and I are currently reading that IEA report!
Your questions are very important. I don't have the background to answer the first one (about how constraints on supply would affect price) and appeal to economists in the group. The second one - are you talking about so-called transition energy infrastructure like natural gas? That is very much worth discussing and relevant to the work we hope to do next. Your third question with regard to the rate of economic growth as material constraints kick in - the implication of our argument is that since we can't violate physical law, economic growth is eventually going to stop, likely catastrophically if no change away from the current economic model happens anytime soon. As to your fourth point, yes, Covid has shown how disaster capitalism can function at a large scale. I wish I had the answer to that question as to how we might stop/prevent the 'hegemonising' (if that's a word) nature of global neoliberal capitalism. It's a system that works to ensure its own survival, but parasitically, and will eventually destroy us all. We need friction as well as unraveling from within and without. But I speak as a non-expert on this subject - more wishful thinking than anything solid! It would be great to have a TACC-led discussion on all this, if people are willing, since we have so many experts, scholars and activists among all these groups.
Your point about the flattening of resource use makes total sense. The flatline represents a balance between human needs and the ecological/physical/ biogeochemical 'ceiling' so its height is determined by that. If that wasn't the case, it wouldn't stay flatlined for long - it would eventually drop when resources run out.
Thanks for raising these points! I am sure Chirag can add more.
Vandana