[PeDAGoG] PeDAGoG reactivation - 2nd attempt!

Ashish Kothari ashishkothari at riseup.net
Fri Apr 2 19:54:56 CEST 2021

Dear PeDAGoG colleagues,
Hope everyone is going strong! After a long break,  is it time to try to
reactivate PeDAGoG? We've had some wonderful posts and discussions in
the past (especially our online session last July), and there were
interesting activities being proposed. But since then, the list has not
been particularly active (though some of you have posted v. interesting
material), and this makes us wonder about the limitations we face ...
and again, a question I'd asked in mid-2020, whether this network is
playing a useful role? At that time, many of you responded with an
enthusiastic 'yes', and Julia pegged our first (and so far only) online
discussion. Several (mostly) silent months later, we need to ask this qs
again ... maybe with these two qs:

1. Firstly, it would be good to know the things people have been
engaging with over the past few months, relevant to PeDAGoG.

2. Second, what are some of the activities that we would like to see
happen within the PeDAGoG group?
There were a lot of interesting proposals to collaborate (on articles,
summer schools, learning materials), Collaborative teaching, bridging
community-based educational spaces and Universities, hosting online
events etc (see below). It would be really interesting to try and
actualise some of these activities, possibly in smaller working groups.
Maybe we could start a monthly (or every 2 months) online session of
sharing interesting methods/courses/approaches? What do you think?

A sad update: We have (most probably) lost the drive containing the
collection of our courses/methods/pedagogies to a fire in one of our
server rooms. We're still trying to work out whether we can retrieve it.
If not, we will request those of you who had posted on it, to repost ...
we'll send around another link for this.

However, the PeDAGoG reading list survives! in case people would like to
revisit and update it: https://pad.riseup.net/p/pedagog-readinglist-keep
<https://pad.riseup.net/p/pedagog-readinglist-keep>

Also, I want to introduce Upamanyu (copied here), who has recently
joined us at Kalpavriksh, and will be facilitating activities on the
group moving forward (many thanks to Brandon who was doing it earlier)
... if we do collectively feel we want to keep PeDAGoG alive!

*Pl. reply to full list if you have something you'd like to share with
all ... if there is a message only for me/Upamanyu, pl. write back
directly to us only. *

thanks, and here is hoping this 2nd revival will be more long-lasting
and meaningful :)
ashish

*Follow-up points listed at online discussion held in July 2020*, in
case people would like to revisit what we had come up with:

 1. STRUCTURE AND ORGANISING

  * Organising the communication and sharing in the PEDAGOG space so
    that material is accessible and not overwhelming the list
  * social-media presence?
  * Series of events where we share the approaches we are taking -
    webinar series from PEDAGOG?
  * Think about what gaps (geographical, thematic) exist and could be
    filled (e.g., currently lack of members from Africa)?
  * Creating a map of our expertise - create a visual tool with themes
    that concern this group - overlapping circles?
  * Can some of us find institutional backing, funds?

  B. PEDAGOGIC AND KNOWLEDGE SHARING ACTIVITIES:

    Potential to develop sub-groups on the following as a start:

  * Feminism and political ecology
  * Teaching exchange through zoom co-teaching
  * Collaborative journal article writing
  * Collaboration on Masters education and exchange and summer schools
  * Youth activist-research outside of mainstream academic structures

 3. COLLECTIVE VALUES AND PRINCIPLES OF THE PEDAGOG NETWORK

  *   Ethics and values of PeDAGoG

We need a statement on these for the kinds of transformations we want in
society, the kind of academics/learning/teaching we feel is 'right', and
the ethics for our own internal functioning of PeDAGoG as a network

  * Suggestion: Small group of volunteers to start a draft

Three levels that might be important:

            1. Ethics of the transformations we want in society -
direction of the transformaiton

2. Ethics of our own teaching and learning spaces

3. Ethics of the PEDAGOG network itself - open, inclusive, non-hierarchical

NOW FREE DOWNLOAD! ÔPluriverse: A Post-Development DictionaryÕ (https://radicalecologicaldemocracy.org/pluriverse)

Ashish Kothari
Kalpavriksh
Apt 5 Shree Datta Krupa